Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dear Vogue...Can you include the larger sizes in your SHAPE issue?

WOW! I was so excited to see that the latest copy of Vogue featured the SHAPE issue. And then I read it...

Ok, to be fair, I will be positive first. I have written this entry about ten times because every time I re-read it, I came off as sounding haughty and pissed, so I would start again. And I am not a haughty and pissed kind of person as I don't think that accomplishes anything to do with positive change. The tone I am trying for is exasperated and flabbergasted because I don't think this concept is difficult to understand or hard to pull off. So picture me exasperated and flabbergasted here because I need to get this written.

It was so great to see that a fashion "bible" such as Vogue is dedicating an issue to shape and featuring an article entitled, "Dressing For Every Shape From Size 0-16." Great for the 14's and 16's. I am glad to see that those sizes are being included.

Not so great for me because I am an 18! And what about 20, 22, 24 and up? We all wear clothes last I checked?

I was eager to read about dressing for your body type, since at Black Cat Plus we are always on the lookout for silhouette info as we include silhouette info in our plus size contemporary clothing descriptions. And, the 87 Swimsuits to Flatter Every Figure article? Every figure...not so much.

The five different body types mentioned in Vogue? Tall, Pregnant, Thin, Curvy, and Short.

And the rest of us? Some of us do read Vogue?

In Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour's Letter from the Editor she talks about the young models on the runways at the recent New York fall fashion week collections. She said, "Overall, they were pale and thin, and entirely lacking in the joyfulness and charm that once defined the supermodels. This is, of course, not their fault: Designers now near-uniformly favor a non-vivacious, homogenous ideal."

Note to Designers and Vogue: Ever see the plus size models? Not pale and thin. And joyful and charming is an understatment!! They look as though they are glad to be there and are glad to be who they are!

Wintour urged designers to to "consider athleticism and vitality as assets in the wearing of great fashion."

P.S. to Vogue: How about we add, "full figured and vivacious?"

We're here...please see us!

Jodell

No comments: