Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Fashion is Subjective

My partners and I would always be amused when a few women would come in and we would overhear their conversation about how one of our articles of clothing was "hideous" or how another article of clothing was "awesome!" One woman announced, "When we walk by the store every morning, we just laugh and laugh at that piece in the window." Oh dear!! Now that piece has one size left out of six and has been a very popular seller for us. All three of us loved it which is very unusual for all of us to agree on an article of clothing. However, we are never offended when someone expresses their opinions as it helps us learn about different tastes and it comes with the territory when owning a boutique.

When I am buying for the boutique or the on-line boutique www.blackcatplus.com I am imagining a particular customer who would wear a certain piece and I buy with her in mind. The nice thing for women today is that we can find different styles to reflect different tastes. There are times when I am more conservative than others. In the boutique, I get to wear my "over the top" outfits. I love color and the mod prints that are out now. When it is not busy in the store we have conversations as to whether or not we like a particular article of clothing and why. As a buyer that is the most fun time so that we can get other perspectives. I am probably the most extreme of the three of us. Sonya is the most casual and Lisa is the most versatile, she wears clothes that reflect her mood and what she is doing that day.

We are always amused when one of us does not like an article of clothing or an accessory and it sells. The major department stores have several buyers. Fashion is very subjective and it all comes down to a matter of taste! And, there are all different kinds of tastes out there!! We play games when we are looking at clothes and we try to guess which one out of the three of us who would buy a particular style! I have had to "tone down" my selections because not everyone likes "out there" fashion so I have learned!! :) The fun thing about fashion is that it can represent a particular mood we are in that day! Through fashion we can choose to make our life whatever and however we choose! For fun, log on with a friend and talk about what you like and do not like about particular styles--you can even visit us at www.blackcatplus.com and let us know what you like and do not like or want to see! Have fun and happy shopping.

No comments: